International Students

Information for International Students may change without notice.  Please refer to the University of Toronto’s Centre for International Experience (CIE) and Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) for current requirements.

PEY Students

International students that are interested in PEY require a valid Co-op Work Permit and Social Insurance Number (SIN) before beginning their internship. Only students who have an internship component which is an essential and integral part of their program may apply for a Co-op Work Permit. At this time, only Engineering and Computer Science St. George Campus students have this program requirement. If your degree does not specify this requirement, you will not be able to receive a co-op work permit. Without a work permit, you do not quality for PEY.

Students enrolled in PEY are advised to apply for their co-op work permit as soon as they receive the original confirmation letter required for the Co-op Work Permit Application. This letter will be created by the PEY office after registration closes, and we will notify you when it is ready.  Students may obtain a SIN after receiving their Co-op Work Permit. Students will receive their SIN on the same day they apply in person at a Service Canada location.

eSIP Students

International students that are interested in eSIP require a valid study permit to work during the summer.  Please check the eligibility criteria for off-campus work on the following links:

You will also require a Social Insurance Number (SIN) in order to work in Canada.  Please click here for further information.

When can you work?

If you are an international student with full-time registration status and a valid Study Permit, you are eligible to work in Canada, with some conditions. You can work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year (either on or off campus). During university-sanctioned breaks (such as Winter or Summer holidays) you may work full time.

If you are taking a full-time course load during the Summer semester, you are only allowed to work up to 20 hours per week. If you are taking a part-time Summer course load or no Summer courses at all, you can work full time.

You will need to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN). You can make your SIN application in person at any Service Canada office.

How to Apply for a Co-op Work Permit

Visit the University of Toronto’s Centre for International Experience (CIE) for detailed instructions. A list of the required documents can be accessed at Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

Need help filling out the work permit application forms?

Under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA), the university staff is prohibited from providing advice to students with regards to immigration related applications such as study permit, visa, off-campus and co-op work permits. If you encounter difficulties in filling out the work permit application forms, please attend the PEY Work Permit Application tutorial session to be facilitated by the International Students’ Immigration Advisor from the Centre for International Experience (CIE) Office. Please refer to our calendar for the schedule and for the workshop requirements.