Engineering Career Centre Portal
The Engineering Career Centre Career Portal manages all aspects of the ESIP and PEY Co-op recruitment process. As an applicant seeking a job for our programs, you are responsible for checking job requirements, policies and resources that are posted on the Career Portal. You are also responsible for checking your email regularly throughout the process. Most of our communication will be sent to the email address associated with your account regarding interviews, offers and updates on the recruitment processes.
PEY Co-op and ESIP job opportunities are posted throughout the year; we encourage you to check the portal regularly and follow the instructions carefully on how to apply.
Through the Portal, you can:
- View and apply to job postings
- View interview invitations and select interview time slots
- Sign up to attend Employer Information Sessions
- Sign up for workshops and book appointments
- Upload important documents include your co-op work permit (PEY Co-op only), acceptance form, and a copy of your letter of offer or contract
While there is no limit to the number of job applications you may submit, remember that success comes from strengthening the quality of applications and not the quantity of applications. We recommend attending development workshops to help you identify job fit and create strong, tailored applications that will be noticed by employers.
All applications should include the following:
- Cover letter
- Copy of Transcript (unofficial is fine)
Read the Interview Guide that is posted on the Career Portal. Interviews are critical to the success of securing an opportunity, therefore it is important to be prepared in advance. To help you prepare, you should plan to attend the ECC’s development sessions. You should also thoroughly research the organization, and know how to articulate your experiences and strengths in a professional manner.
Independent Work Terms
Finding Your Own Work Term – Outside of the Career Portal
NEW: Registration & Approval Process for Independent Work Terms
You may obtain an independent PEY Co-op or ESIP work term outside of the Career Portal. To ensure the opportunity meets the program requirements, it must be reviewed and approved by Chioma Ekpo, Assistant Director, Engineering Career Centre. The steps required to register and approve an independent work term are listed below. If you have any questions such as whether an opportunity would qualify before you approach the employer and apply for the role, please contact Chioma Ekpo.
- If you are considering obtaining an independent work term, or if you have already secured an independent work term, you must register in the program and pay the applicable program registration fee (ESIP or PEY Co-op).
- Registration must take place during the fall or winter registration period.
- If you are considering obtaining an independent work term, you must register during the fall or winter registration period.
- If you missed the fall or winter registration period, there may be an opportunity to get registered, provided your independent work term is approved. Follow the steps listed in the "Approval Process" section below and we will follow up with the registration details.
- If the independent work term is approved, students will be required to pay the applicable program work term fee for ESIP or PEY Co-op as well as incidental fees (PEY Co-op only).
- PEY Co-op independent work term applicants are required to attend the Pathway to Success workshop after registration. You will receive details on this workshop.
Submit the following information to Chioma Ekpo, Assistant Director, Engineering Career Centre. To expedite the approval process and confirm the work term, please include this information in one e-mail.
- Job description.
- The signed contract with the student signature and employer signature. The contract must include the salary, start and end dates, and written in the English language.
- Contact information for your supervisor - name, title, e-mail address, phone number and work address. If a supervisor has not yet been assigned to your role, provide the HR contact's information.
- The completed PEY Co-op or ESIP Work Term Acceptance form. The forms are on the Required Documents page under Job Acceptance Form.
- You will receive confirmation of approval and the position will be registered.
PEY Co-op work term notes:
- The opportunity must be a paid, full-time role for 12 to 16 months
- The opportunity must start between May 2019 and September 2019 and end between May 2020 and September 2020
- The end date must not be later than the first week of September 2020 as you must be available to return to school the first week of the 2020 fall term
ESIP work term notes:
- The opportunity must be a paid, full-time summer role
Securing a Work Term
Accepting a Job Offer
Accepting an ESIP or PEY Co-op job offer, whether verbally or in writing, is considered final. For this reason, we strongly encourage you to carefully evaluate the offer prior to making a decision.
You should also observe the following policies:
- Once a job acceptance has been made, you should cancel all interviews and decline future offers.
- You are expected to commit to the entire work term stated in the contract.
- You are not allowed to combine positions in multiple organizations.
- You are prohibited from rescinding an offer unless you have a valid and justifiable cause such as those concerning health and safety.
Failure to follow these policies may lead to possible release from registration in the program.
Letter of Offer/Employment Contracts and Acceptance Form
To finalize your work term, you must complete the following two actions:
- Upload the ESIP or PEY Co-op Acceptance Form to the Career Portal soon after you accept the offer- The forms are on the Required Documents page under Job Acceptance Form
- Upload the signed copy of the letter of offer or contract once it is released by the employer
Work Term Information
To receive your PEY Co-op non-academic credit, you must submit the following:
1. Early student self-reflection form
2. Final PEY student self-reflection form
3. Final PEY Co-op Paper
To receive your ESIP non-academic credit, you must submit the following:
1. Final evaluation
2. Reflection report
Students will receive more information regarding this process once they have begun their work term.