The information on this page pertains to the previous format of the PEY Co-op program, and only applies to students who were in their third year of study during the 2021-2022 academic year
Engineering Career Centre Portal
The Engineering Career Centre Career Portal manages all aspects of the Co-op recruitment process. As an applicant seeking a job for our programs, you are responsible for checking job requirements, policies and resources that are posted on the Career Portal. You are also responsible for checking your email regularly throughout the process. Most of our communication will be sent to the email address associated with your account regarding interviews, offers and updates on the recruitment processes.
PEY Co-op & ESIP job opportunities are posted throughout the year; we encourage you to check the portal regularly and follow the instructions carefully on how to apply.
Through the Portal, you can:
- View and apply to job postings
- View interview invitations and select interview time slots
- Sign up to attend Employer Information Sessions
- Sign up for workshops and book appointments
- Upload important documents including your work term agreement form and a copy of your letter of offer or contract
While there is no limit to the number of job applications you may submit, remember that success comes from strengthening the quality of applications and not the quantity of applications. We recommend participating in development workshops to help you identify job fit and create strong, tailored applications that will be noticed by employers.
All applications should include the following:
- Cover letter
- Copy of Transcript (unofficial is fine)
Read the Interview Instructions that are posted on the Career Portal (under Co-op & Experience programs > Resources). Interviews are critical to the success of securing an opportunity, therefore it is important to be prepared in advance. To help you prepare, you should participate in the ECC’s development sessions and review the online resources available via ECC Portal and Quercus You should also thoroughly research the organization and the job description and know how to articulate your experiences and strengths in a professional manner.
Independent Work Terms
Finding Your Own Work Term – Outside of the Career Portal
NEW: Registration & Approval Process for Independent Work Terms
You may obtain an independent PEY Co-op or ESIP work term outside of the Career Portal. To ensure the opportunity meets the program requirements, it must be reviewed and approved by our Co-op Coordinators, they can be reached at: email@example.com The steps required to register and approve an independent work term are listed below. If you are accepting a job offer outside of Canada, please refer to our Working Abroad guide in addition to the requirements below. If you have any questions such as whether an opportunity would qualify before you approach the employer and apply for the role, please contact us.
- If you are considering obtaining an independent work term, or if you have already secured an independent work term, you must register in the program and pay the applicable program registration fee.
- Registration must take place during the fall or winter registration period.
- If you missed the fall or winter registration period, there may be an opportunity to get registered, provided your independent work term is approved. Follow the steps listed in the "Approval Process" section below and we will follow up with the registration details.
- If the independent work term is approved, students will be required to pay the applicable program work term fee for ESIP or PEY Co-op as well as incidental fees.
Submit the following information via email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. To expedite the approval process and confirm the work term, please include the following information in one e-mail. You will receive confirmation of approval and the position will be registered.
- Independent Work Term Approval Form
- Job description (see the PEY Co-op work term notes below).
- The signed contract with the student signature and employer signature. The contract must include the salary, start and end dates, and written in the English language.
- The completed PEY Co-op Work Term Agreement Form /ESIP Work Term Agreement Form. The forms are on the Required Documents page under Job Agreement Forms
- Deadline to apply to get an Independent Work Term approval is July 29th, 2022
PEY Co-op work term notes:
- The opportunity must be a paid, full-time role for a minimum of 12 to a maximum of 16 months
- The opportunity must start between May 2022 and September 2022 and end between May 2023 and September 2023
- The end date must not be later than the first week of September 2023 as students must be available to return to school the first week of the 2023 fall term
Securing a Work Term
Accepting a Job Offer
Accepting a PEY Co-op or ESIP job offer, whether verbally or in writing, is considered final. For this reason, we strongly encourage you to carefully evaluate the offer prior to making a decision.
You should also observe the following policies:
- Once a job acceptance has been made, you should cancel all interviews and decline future offers.
- You are expected to commit to the entire work term stated in the contract and in the PEY Co-op Work Term Agreement Form/ESIP Work Term Agreement Form
- You are not allowed to combine positions in multiple organizations.
- You are prohibited from rescinding an offer unless you have a valid and justifiable cause such as those concerning health and safety.
Failure to follow these policies may lead to possible release from registration in the program.
Letter of Offer/Employment Contracts and Agreement Forms
To finalize your work term, you must complete the following two actions:
- Upload the PEY Co-op Work Term Agreement Form/ESIP Work Term Agreement Form to the Career Portal soon after you accept the offer- The forms are on the Required Documents page under Job Agreement Forms
- Upload the signed copy of the letter of offer or contract once it is released by the employer
Work Term Information
To receive your PEY Co-op non-academic credit, you must submit the following:
- Early student self-reflection form
2. Final PEY student self-reflection form
3. Final PEY Co-op Paper
To receive your ESIP non-academic credit, you must submit the following:
- Final evaluation
- Reflection report
Students will receive more information regarding submissions once they have begun their work term.