About PEY Co-op


Why did the name of the program change?

The Professional Experience Year Co-op Program (PEY Co-op) is the same established program that has been offered to U of T students in engineering, computer science and other applied science programs for the past 40 years. The new name provides greater clarity to both students and employers by emphasizing the fact that it is — and has always been — a co-operative learning experience.

Can I work for different companies during PEY Co-op?

PEY Co-op is a 12- to 16-month position in one company, providing you with a rich and immersive opportunity to focus on your professional development. U of T Engineering students may also consider participation in our Engineering Summer Internship Program, which is an optional, paid, four-month summer internship. Together, these programs offer a multiple-work-term experience at different companies.

Will PEY Co-op appear on my transcript? If so, how?

Yes, it will appear on your transcript as “PEY Co-op 500” credit/no-credit course.

Student status & incidental fees while on PEY Co-op


What is my student status while on PEY Co-op?

While you work full-time as a PEY Co-op student, you will retain full-time student status at the University of Toronto.

Will I need to pay incidental fees while I’m working at my PEY Co-op position?

Students pay part-time incidental fees for each of the fall and winter terms while on PEY Co-op, which ensures you have access to important University services and plans. While your health and dental insurance plan will remain active throughout the fall, winter and summer, your access to campus services (e.g., athletic facilities) pauses during the summer term — just as it does for any U of T student who is not enrolled in courses over the summer. Throughout your PEY Co-op work term, you and your employer will have uninterrupted access to Engineering Career Centre services.

I’m an international student. Will I have full University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) coverage while I work at my PEY Co-op job?

Yes, provided your PEY Co-op job is in Canada. As with OHIP, UHIP does not provide coverage (travel insurance) outside of Canada.

Student loans while on PEY Co-op

If I received full-time OSAP in the past, will I retain my interest-free status while I’m on PEY Co-op?

Yes. To retain your interest-free status on your previous full-time OSAP loans, you will need to complete the Continuation of Interest-Free Status (CIFS) online application through the OSAP website.

Do I need to let OSAP know that I’m still a student while on PEY Co-op?

Yes. Full-time OSAP recipients can start completing the Continuation of Interest-Free Status (CIFS) online application, for the 2020-2021 academic year, as early as August 17, 2020.  It is recommended that you complete the CIFS application as early as possible after August 17, 2020.

The repayment of your OSAP loans starts six months from when you were last a full-time student.  For example, if you were last full time in April 2020 you are given a 6 month non-payment period, in which interest accrues on your OSAP loans, with that period expiring on Oct 31, 2020.  In this case, the deadline for students to complete the CIFS application, to have the accrued interest reversed and to avoid loan repayment, is Oct 31, 2020.  DO NOT wait until that deadline to submit your CIFS application since processing times can be lengthy.  CIFS applications submitted after Oct 31st can still be processed but you will be responsible for any accrued interest and payments.  The final deadline to submit the CIFS application is April 9, 2021.  If you wait until the final deadline to submit the CIFS application, you will be responsible for any accrued interest.  The processing time for applications during peak periods (start of the term) is around 3-4 weeks.  Once you have submitted your CIFS application, U of T will confirm your status with OSAP to keep your loan interest-free.

To submit your CIFS application, follow these steps:

    • Log into your OSAP account (
    • On the Application page, click on “Apply for interest-free status”
    • In the field asking for your program name, write “PEY” (not your academic program). If you don’t write “PEY” there may be an issue with your application.
    • If a status is requested, indicate that PEY Co-op is full-time
    • Indicate the start date of your study period as September 1, 2020 and end date of your study period as April 30, 2021

Once you submit your CIFS application, allow 3-4 weeks for your full-time status to be confirmed by the University.  You will know this has been done, when your status shows as “Eligible”, then contact the NSLSC to discuss any outstanding interest and/or payments that may be required.  If you received out-of-Province government loan, please contact your loan provider for details on how to maintain interest free status.  Please refer to any correspondence you have received from the Loan Centre.

If you have questions regarding this, please contact:

  • Engineering students - Pierina Filippone, Assistant Registrar, Scholarships & Financial Aid -
  • Arts & Science students – Do not email as you will not receive a response. Please call 416-978-2190 or visit the Enrollment Services Office. Their office hours are posted here -

Do I have to reapply to receive OSAP funding after completing my PEY Co-op position?

Yes, as with every year you received OSAP in the past, you must reapply if you need assistance upon returning to your studies.

How do I maintain interest-free status if I don't need OSAP after returning from PEY Co-op?

If you received OSAP in the past and will not need funding again after completing your PEY Co-op job, please advise the National Student Loans Service Centre when you return to full-time studies by completing the CIFS form online through your OSAP account. If you received a student loan from another province, please contact your lender for instructions on what they require when you return to your full-time studies after completing your PEY Co-op position.

Can I apply for OSAP while I’m on PEY Co-op?

Yes, you may apply for OSAP, however, you must declare PEY Co-op income on your OSAP application. The amount of funding you receive will depend on the level of your income/resources (including that of your parents/spouse, if applicable).

If you are taking classes during your PEY Co-op, you must notify OSAP of your plans so that your course fees can be considered in your OSAP assessment.  After you submit your OSAP application, upload a letter indicating how many courses you plan to take on the "Additional Uploads" page in the "Required Documents" section of your online OSAP application.

Taking Courses

While on PEY co-op, your priority is to fulfill your co-op responsibilities and successfully complete your work term. Students who are planning to take a course must comply with the following requirements:

  1. Ensure courses are not core/mandatory courses for your program of study (POSt), are not scheduled during work hours, and will not negatively impact your work term commitment.
  2. Speak with your manager about your interest in taking a course and reassure that your work will not be jeopardised and you will make up the necessary time to meet the work expectations.
  3. Complete the PEY-Course-Approval-Request-Form Form which you can find on Career Portal under Resources to download the form. Further instructions are included within.
  4. Submit your request along with the completed form to for review and for a formal decision.



What if I want to work for a year but not through the PEY Co-op Program (i.e., take a gap year to work)?

If you take a gap year to work and are not registered through the PEY Co-op Program, you will not be registered as a U of T Engineering student while you are away from your studies. PEY Co-op is an official University program and you will not be entitled to call the gap year a PEY Co-op position. It is important that you don’t misrepresent this status in any way, including to employers, on LinkedIn, or on your resume. If you choose to take a gap year, you will not have access to the Continuation of Interest-Free Status (CIFS), meaning you will need to start repaying your OSAP/provincial government loan during your gap year.


Health & Dental Insurance Coverage: PEY Co-op 2020-2021

PEY Co-op students automatically have health and dental insurance coverage through Green Shield when they pay their part-time incidental fees.

PEY Co-op students will notice an APUS Health fee and an APUS Dental fee (Association of Part-time Undergraduate Students) on their ACORN record for the fall and winter term. That APUS Health and Dental fee means they are covered automatically for health and dental.

PEY Co-op students only have insurance coverage according to this schedule:

  • PEY Fall term only coverage period: September 1, 2020 to February 28, 2020 = 6 month coverage with Green Shield
  • PEY Winter term only coverage period: March 1, 2021 to August 31, 2021 = 6 month coverage with Green Shield

PEY students registered for both Fall and Winter terms have coverage from September 1, 2020 - August 31, 2021 with Green Shield.

PEY Co-op students cannot submit any claims to Green Shield until the first week of November. This is because the university needs time to confirm the list of part-time students and then submit the list to APUS. Then APUS submits the part-time list to Green Shield.

Please contact APUS to clarify any details: visit or email Member Services Coordinator at

Note: If you are a PEY Co-op student who is registered with Accessibility Services and you may require accommodations not covered by the APUS Health & Dental plan, please contact your advisor at Accessibility Services as soon as possible to discuss your particular needs.